Wednesday, July 14, 2010

-gasp!- Religion

Hey, Reader!

First, let me give (actually honest) excuses for why I have not written on here in a while, in case anyone actually gives a flying Fig Newton. First, I was tired and working. Second, I was in Ohio for a few days to visit friends, so my time was being taken up by them. And more being tired, because we stayed up rather late and I felt weird sleeping in too late. Third, I was being selfish and absorbed in my own feelings about something that was going on that had me all confused and... -deep breath- That's for another blog. It actually fits with one of those blog topic things that I haven't been keeping up with very well. So, I guess you'll know in a little while. Of course, by then, I'll probably be a little more calm about the whole thing, so you'll get the completely G-rated version, rather than PG or PG-13. You're welcome.

Anyways, I'm back. At least for tonight, because I had the past two days off today and got to sleep in a few more hours. Hooray! I'm also back because this topic was requested by someone on Twitter. I tweeted the other night that I would be going to a Methodist church, which I had never before attended. Apparently, my views on religion interest at least one person (which I find to be awesome!), and he asked that I blog about my experience at the church service. And I cannot say, "No," to something very few will read! Especially when I just get to ramble.

Right, so, on about the church service.

First, I think I should give you a background about my religion. Which I'm actually kind of hesitant to do. I mean, I think I've mentioned a couple of things on Twitter before, but this is a BLOG. Makes that stuff official. But, for the sake of honesty and understanding, I will indulge you with my religious background.

I grew up in the Roman Catholic Church. I had all my beginning sacraments there (Baptism, Reconciliation, Communion, and Confirmation), I knew the routine, I went to the Catechism (C.C.D./Religious Education) classes, etc. Despite doing all of this, I was never a super, duper strict Catholic. For example, I didn't believe fully in Creationism, but rather a mix of that and Evolution (God created the Earth and helped Evolution move along). I also didn't really believe in much of a Hell, especially as the years went on. It became more of a belief in little punishment after death if you were unkind to others during your life on Earth, but that was it. I didn't believe that God would send His children He made to be so far from Him for eternity. I may not have held the same beliefs as other Catholics in those areas, but I did believe in God, Jesus, Mary, the Eucharist, etc.

Then, back in October, I started having discussions with someone about religion. He was/is an atheist (I think?) who seemed to have a particular grudge against the Catholic Church. At this time, I had just started college, and I had joined the choir and college group at the Catholic student parish that was right across from the campus. I had never been more involved in the church before, so it was new, and I was learning more and more while trying to improve my faith. The more this person and I discussed things, though, the more I came to realize that I didn't really fully understand what I believed, but, rather, I believed it because that was what I was comfortable with and basically all I "knew." Then, mid to late December, this person mentioned something about fate and (something like) predestination that really made me think. This led to other questions and ideas. It was at that moment that I lost my Christian faith almost completely. I still had held some hope that it might return, because, really, it had to have been the scariest thing I had gone through. I mean, I adapt to change fairly well, but this kind of change was way different than any other change, and I had not expected it at all. It just kind of jumped out of nowhere. I continued to talk to people and do some reading, and, as the months went on, I moved farther and farther away from religion. Now, I guess you could say that I have almost joined my friend who sort of initiated this change in terms of beliefs... except I don't hold a grudge against Catholics, because, well, that's basically my whole family. Haha.

And that, my reader(s), is sort of my history of my religion. I mean, there are finer and more details, obviously, and you can feel free to ask me whenever (though, I can't promise I'll have a very good answer, because I'm still figuring out things), but it's the basics. Hopefully, it'll help you understand what I observed at this service?

Oh, before I forget, (and just so I can throw this in wherever and have it almost work) I also have attended a sort of service at an Independent Fundamentalist Baptist Church (what a name!). See, my "friend" had a New Year's Eve "party" there with her church, and I was invited. I was hesitant to go, but, being the kind of person I am, I wanted to see another church and spend some time with friends. It had also been the first New Year's Eve thing I had been invited to, so I felt almost obligated to say, "Yes." It was an interesting experience, and that is putting it kindly. Now, the people were very kind, and most of them were Mexican, so they had really delicious homemade Mexican food, but I still felt rather uncomfortable. At the end of their service, they did something I was not familiar with, and since I just stood there, along with two or three other people, one person came over and, among other questions, asked if I was going to Heaven. Of course, I said, "Yes." I didn't have a reason, but it was assumed, because, well, I had never done anything horrible to anyone, and I was, like them, a Christian. This did not please the person completely, so they tried to "save" me, even though I had told my friend, who was just watching nearby, more than once, that I did not believe in being "saved." I am, obviously, not trying to hide that I am still upset about this, because it was terribly embarrassing and nerve-wracking. Now, I do not blame the people or the church, and I don't want it to seem like I dislike those people, because, like I said, they were very kind (and they provided me with amazing food). I just wanted to make that clear.

This story could also explain my being scared to try other religious places or practices for a while, but, rather, just sticking with what I was comfortable with. It's not that I always avoided thinking about finding the truth, but that I was scared of having to return to a place of uncertainty like that again. Obviously, I still did go on a journey, and it ended up leading me to a completely different place, but, really, I'm kind of happy with where I am now "religion"- wise. I still try to keep an open mind and find answers, but I do think about some things very differently than I did before, and I like it.

Oh, and about visiting the Methodist church. Well, after the service, I talked to my younger sister (who was the only reason I was there), and she said that that's not really like their typical service. She said it is normally pretty close to a Catholic service, but without as much sitting and standing and no kneeling, and Communion is only once a month instead of everyday. A difference that I observed there, though, actually made me chuckle a little. As they were collecting the donations from people, I saw that pretty much everyone chipped in some money. Now, I don't know about other Catholic churches, but when I watched at mine, few people actually put any money in. I don't know if I quite understand why this difference has happened, but I would like to find out. I felt kind of awkward and out of place at that moment, because I hadn't expected to donate any money, so I didn't. I just had to kind of give a weird grin like, "Yeah, I'm an outsider," to the person taking around the collection plate. But, as my Anthropology professor would say, you are going to make many mistakes when you go to observe in a different place; you just have to learn to laugh at yourself in those moments. So, it's all good. Let's see. What else about my visit? Well, other than that moment, I was actually kind of comfortable there. No one really took notice of me, and, even after they did, they just noted that I was Anne's sister. So, really, it wasn't bad at all.

Wow. This is a really bad observation of the church service, but I really don't know what to say about it. I mean, it felt like I was at church. I guess I would have to attend a "real" service one of these days to actually see what it's like. Maybe I will one Sunday when I have the day off. That could become my new hobby! Religious Places hopping! Could learn a heck of a lot from people and places.

Gah. I need a life. And I need to shut up before I bore you to death too much.

So, if you have any questions or ideas about blogs, I guess just let me know, and I can try to write about it. Hopefully, it'll be better than this. And my apologies go out to Bryce for this horrific "observation." It probably would have helped with a service that wasn't pretty much all about the trip that nineteen kids and eight adults went on. Haha.

And, with that, I bid everyone a good night. :)

Chelsea

Today's Food: Well, today, I had a veggie burger from Morning Star. That was good, but I don't think it's really worth mentioning a whole lot about. Haha. I did go out for a Mexican lunch with Lizz on Monday, though, and I had an amazing meal. This is actually from the time before when I ate it, but it was the same meal, because I love it. A lot. It's even my phone's wallpaper. Don't judge!

6 comments:

Alyssa Day said...

I hope you don't mind, but I sort of feel like sharing my thoughts a little.

First, I'll give you some background. I was raised Christian. When people ask what my denomination is, I just say "Protestant." Denomination was never emphasized growing up. I only attended church (which was Methodist) for a couple years when I was 6 and 7. My parents ended up not liking it and leaving. All I remember about it was Sunday school, and the dress I wore for the Easter service. My mother was raised in a very strict French-Canadian Catholic household. She hated it. She felt that it was too much about feeling guilty all the time. She felt that it was more important to concentrate on your faith than all of the rituals Catholics believe in. Also, saints are seen as silly in my family. There is One God, and He is the one you pray to. I think my mom's faith was strengthened because my dad is also quite religious. He occasionally participates in fellowships. Therefore, I was raised with the morality taught in The Bible, and that when you need help, pray.

Faith in God has helped me throughout difficult periods in my life. Also, the Christians I see that lose faith around our age were all raised Catholic. I don't fully understand Catholicism, but it seems to me like it's too much work and forces people away. Having a close relationship with God isn't about church or rituals. It's about belief. You don't get faith from a church. You get it from your heart. I have trouble understanding why a discussion with one person could have swayed your faith so much, but maybe that's because you never learned what true faith is. (That's just my opinion from observations of people who went from Catholic to agnostic or atheist not an insult to you.) If you want faith in God (which I recommend because it fulfills my life,) you don't need to go to church to find it. Just talk to God. Pray. Show that you have complete trust that He will guide you. Belief in every word written in The Bible is not important, and belief that everything is correct in The Bible is not the answer. The belief that having faith in God will strengthen yourself is key. I have a strong belief that religion is incredibly personal. It is nice when it can be shared in a church, but if that church makes you feel uncomfortable, get the heck out of there. When you told that person you were going to Heaven, it was not his/her place to tell you that you didn't truly believe and needed to be saved. Everyone's faith is unique, and no one can tell you that you're doing it wrong. That is very un-Christian in my eyes. Religion should be about bettering your experience on this planet, not making other feels less.

I got a little preachy at the end. Sorry. I just mean to communicate my personal view on the subject, and not tell you what to do.

It feels like you are searching for answers still. If you feel comfortable, I suggest saying "Hey, God, I'm really confused about this and this and this. Can you please show me the way?"

There is no need to feel poorly if you don't have faith or find that it doesn't better you. We all have our own journeys. Best of luck on your quest for answers <3

Bryce R. Jensen said...

Thank both of you very much for sharing, Chelsea and Alyssa. I don't have time right now for a proper response, but I must say this:
If a person ever came to you with suspicions that one of their friends might be imaginary, I think that advising them to consult that same possibly make-believe friend to solve the question of that friend's legitimacy would be horrible advice.
:)

Chelsea Delaney said...

@Alyssa Thanks for the awesomely thought out response. It makes me feel special that someone took the time to write out and share so much. I also admire your faith and understanding. It's awesome to see. :) As to the question about how one person was able to sway my beliefs so much... The person simply said a few things that got my mind rolling. It didn't really have to do much with how I dealt with my faith. His questions and ideas about a couple of different things made me see things differently, and they made me realize that what I believed to be "facts" didn't make sense at all. Just the way I think is different from a year ago, I guess. I still do a bit of reading now and then, though, so maybe one day, I'll be able to find something that makes me return to those other beliefs. And thank you for the support of my journey to find my answers. :)

@Bryce Thanks for reading! :) And I think she was just trying to help in a way that works for her, but what you said did make sense... And it was put in a clever way, I must admit! :)

Alyssa Day said...

Well, it seems to me that if you're going to different churches that you're looking for God. My whole point was that I believe you don't look for Him in a church; you look for Him within yourself.

Alyssa Day said...

Ehh, that first sentence didn't come off the way I meant it. (Always preview, Alyssa. Always preview.) I meant that it seems like you still believe in God, but it's all of the fine details that make it difficult. You're looking for the truth about Him. That was my impression.

Chelsea Delaney said...

@Alyssa Ohhh. Well, it's more of I'm just looking for answers and truth for any side. Currently, I have been finding more answers that I am content with without including a higher power of any sort. I'm not going to take those answers and just bolt, though, because I know how I am, and I'm scared it'll make me a close minded person (which, I will admit, I was before).

So, it's not really that I still believe in God, but that I refuse to just settle with what I have been thinking recently. but continue reading, researching, talking, and thinking. I'm looking for any truths, not just a god truth.

(I don't know if that made any sense at all... =/)